Sunday, 9 November 2008

Whipped up easily

Some fold-over elastic, a bit of visoflex and extending a knit top pattern made this dress quick and easy to whip up this weekend. There were some ruching features that I would have added if the pattern was less prominent, but I'll do that next time.
I tried this on without the fold-over elastic and the neckline was fairly open, so the elastic makes this a more wearable dress for me while drawing your eye to the neckline for design reasons and not due to a plunging neckline. I'll keep that for another day...


Monday, 3 November 2008

Introducing...??

Did I buy this fabric in haste? What were you thinking? The print is large and I'm short. You can tell from the dressmaker dummy that the print is almost as tall as I am.

My idea was to make a short sleeve, formfit/casual dress - not sure about the length as yet.
If this doesn't work, I'll still be able to make some fitted tops or a top with a twist - Kwik Sew 3378.

Relaxed layer - McCalls 5050

This top is now going to be a pretty layer when I just want to relax on the weekend. The fabric is a silk chiffon so I'll be wearing a singlet top underneath. Comments about this top consistently mentioned that it's a maternity look top and you can adjust the front to adopt this for maternity wear. In my case, I just wanted a soft layer and use for the fabric.

The fabric is from Pitt Trading and I've been wanting to make it into something useful but feminine. Next I'll try to add elastic on the sleeve, just above the elbow, to keep the waist slightly defined.

The side seams have french seams, clear elastic is used in the neckline casing but after unsuccessfully trying shirring elastic in the waist, I settled for more clear elastic. I've got some pale pink ribbon that the I might try along the neckline.

The biggest decision was how to finish the seams, hems and neckline because of the fine fabric. It works.

Sunday, 2 November 2008

Make it work - Vogue 8420

I've now simplified a complex pattern. I feel like I've been simplifying problems all week.

After unpicking the sleeves, underfacing, elastic in the front waistline and shoulder seams, I:
- took off 2cm from the shoulder seams
- added clear elastic in the neckline edge, turned it over once and then straight stitched
- sewed on the sleeves and finished the side seams
- added three rows shirring elastic on the waistline.

Now this top works for me. I just couldn't throw this top out because it's a great colour.

The fitting advice came from my sewing mates a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks ladies :)


I can now see that if you have a small cup size, this top can really help you make more of what you've got.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

disqus

You might also be interested in...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Minerva Crafts UK