Saturday, 31 July 2010

Chanel No1 is done.

This little number is done. Yeah.
I avoid hand stitching but I couldn't avoid it because of the braid and chunkiness of the fabric. I broke a record 5 sewing machine needles making this jacket. I have a couple of reddish skirts that I can wear with this but it's even better with dark ink jeans.
While I was testing the braid placement, I took a few pictures to see whether it was too much, or not enough. You can also see that it took some unpicking to get the neckline right. It also took come unpicking to get the front hems to match at the zipper base. This was where I broke machine needle number 5. The neckline corners also took some unpicking and remachining to get the neckline corners right too.
I love the heavy red lining. Just love it. This is truly a remant fabric jacket. The braid and zipper are new.
As soon as I make a top, I'll add some real life pictures.

Boxy jacket no 2 - McCalls 5007

Here's a pattern that's now OOP but I've only just opened it. Isn't that always the case?
McCalls 5007 is another jacket that I thought was cute and could be handy.


I used Angie's help getting the fit of this right too. This was my first choice for a chanel jacket. Oh well. Now I know that I have to wear more structured clothes.


The back now has darts so that it fits better at the back.
The fabric was a Pitt Trading remnant, so I'm not sure of its makeup but I loved the colour and the embellishment.

Tuesday, 27 July 2010

chanel-ish jacket - burda 5018

Over the past few months, the Rhodes sewing group has had the pleasure of Angie Zimmerman's expertise in jacket fitting. I fell off the jacket wagon with myVanuatu trip sewing, and Saturday I hopped back on the wagon.
Here's where I'm at with this jacket at the moment. The aim was to make a chanel jacket but even Angie said the boxy style did nothing for me so I've added darts below the front bust and two darts at the back.

Here's where I'm kind of stuck. This fabric is bulky and has a very open weave. The colours are not wallflower colours so I'm trying to choose a braid/finish that works.
My other decision is the neckline. Do I go for a tight v-neckline or an open v neckline?
I went for a white zipper because I couldn't find a match but there's white in the weave and one of the braids has pink and white in it. See what I have to decide on? Great huh? Happy to take style suggestions.

The lining is a deep bold red and I've interfaced the fabric with white armoweft. My elnapress has been having a great workout with this pattern.  The fabric is a left over from a coat I made years ago. The fabric was a great find at Pitt Trading.

Saturday, 17 July 2010

Vanuatu wrap up

We spent 6 great days in Vanuatu and chilled out, escaping a week of winter cold.
The nice thing was I got to just sit and read, a pleasure I don't get at home. We did snorkel around a couple of reefs, kiyaked and relaxed just a bit. I did buy a few metres of fabrics in great dark summer prints so they are now maturing in my fabric stash.
These pants Butterick 5044 were finished in time for our trip. I am mozzie chocolate so I needed pants to avoid being eaten at night. The good thing was mozzies were not an issue. They usually are in tropical countries, so I was one happy tourist.



I did a slight adjustment by raising lowering the front waistline and raised the centre back waist line. I also slivered the pants width at the ankles. The pants width seemed overwhelming so I had to trim the width down. I also added a small vent at the ankles but you can't really tell from these pics.



Since coming home I've been working on the anorak McCalls 5635 and today I finished it, with advice from my sewing buddies. Alison gave me a lesson applying a couple of long prong snaps from the Snap source, on the sleeve hems.
I combined views B and C, so I have the collar and hoodie for a challenge. You can also see that I used a chunky plastic zip and cord. I hand stitched the zipper in before machining it in, so that it wouldn't slide around, if I just used pins.

I also used satin bias on the waist for the cord. I cut this as a size 11, so I cut between size 10 and 12. All seams are overlocked. I now need some beads for the cord ends. I'll use fraycheck to keep the cord ends from unravelling.
By the way, I won't be wearing the matching pants and jacket unless I want to upset the fashion police. My laptop was fixed today so there will be more posts, more often.
These were taken on our only boat trip at Vanuatu. The boardies were good while walking on Tranquility Island and checking out the turtle sanctuary.
The swimmers did well when were snorkelling.
Yes - no hairdryer.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You might also be interested in...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

disqus

Minerva Crafts UK