What I needed was to see how someone with more technical nouse handled a similar situation and I saw Dilliander's pieced top and then the penny dropped. You could hear the penny clang a mile away.
Yesterday, as it happened, Dilliander and I were both at Rhodes ASG day and I had practised figuring out her pieced top to the point where I have it cut out, ready to sew. I even have the FOE to bind the neckline.
So after she checked how I'd tackled her pieced top, I showed her this dress and I set about getting the design lines in the right place using KwikSew 2683 as the basic pattern.For the sewing techos, this picture above show how I identified the 5 sections on the dress and then Dillander realised the stripes are at the same angle as the base of each section.
Then I traced off the pattern pieces from the template onto tissue ie, wrapping paper from a Christmas present. I did iron the paper before I drew on it.
Each section was sewn with seams great and then topstitched using grey thread. I've used a two thread Coverpro finish for the neck edge, sleeve hems and dress hem - and that's it.
So last night I wore this dress to dinner with some close and very honest friends and I got some great comments so I'm a happy sewer today. So honest, one of my friends alerted me to a bit of lipstick on my teeth - an easy fix in the powder room.
BTW, the shoes are Cyprus circa 1997.