This shows the handstitching on the fingers. I couldn't do this by machine. I've used a knit scrap to test the pattern size and sewing steps.
Here's the right side palm view.
Here's the right side back view.
You can see the pleather has a soft knit wrong side. The pattern piece shows how I took 1cm off the finger length.
The reason I went back to this project is because Theperfectnose from blogging heaven, sent me an email with this glove sewing article and I thought I should strike while the iron was hot. The article is easy to follow and much better than the pattern instructions. Well, I also went to the Alexandria ASG meeting on Saturday and I deliberately left my machine at home so I had no other option but to handstitch - and chat over a cuppa, of course. I did learn to handstitch at the Leatherworkers Guild last month.
These wonderclips were great to prevent extra puncture marks on the pleather but I did need to stitch carefully so I didn't wreak them. Thanks to Sharon for getting me to buy these last month when she had a special offer. These clips were a timely purchase. The inside fabric was great for writing on.Here's how I used them on the machine and how I used the zipper foot for the 3mm seam allowances. 3mm! I did check the fit of the first finger I hand sewed and realised the finger length was a bit short so I clipped each by 1cm. I think my knit fabric stretched while I sewed so the pattern pieces have been altered back to their original lengths.
Here's how they finished up yesterday.
I did a bit more handstitching on the fatter fingers and added a 1" cuff with elastic and I was able to machine sew this cuff on using the zipper foot again. Brilliant.
Thank you so much theperfectnose. You gave me the kick-start and article I needed.
Now to make the matching jacket...McCalls 6292 but a bit longer than finishing at the waist.
I've started on the toile so that I can get the jacket length and construction right.