Was it the fabric?
This fabric was an unloved stash from a local sewer. Even I thought this fabric would be an 'ok' pattern testing fabric.
It's a bit scratchy and flimsy.
It's a non-colour on both sides so I used the dark side.
|Front view with a me-made top.|
Was it the pattern?
This is clearly a cargo pattern. Cargoes are usually a forgiving style (weekend worthy) and I made the 4 grading it to 6 at the hips. Peggy of Silhouette Patterns uses this block for her jeans pattern.
Was it the notions?
Probably. I've used stash buttons and zipper in the 'beige-est' of beige.
I did use triple thread coverstitching in a few places but not a lot. The fly front stitching uses a nothing colour so it's not obvious. See the lining.
I cut the outer leg pockets to a smaller size so that weren't as big as designed. These pockets are designed to sit flat and they do.
About the pattern
This pattern is multisized and comes in 4 - 18 and 14W - 28W.
Peggy suggests making these cargoes in 3 steps.
1. Cut out the pieces.
2. Make up the front and back legs.
3. Sew the pants together with the outside pockets and tabs.
I took an hour to make the back welt pockets and sew in the zipper.
The outer pockets were another sit and concentrate session.
So I've made these cargoes in 5 steps to focus on these features.
I like how these cargoes are fitted at the waist and hips and not saggy, baggy cargoes, so they are work appropriate.
The technical stuff:
My adjustments basic trouser adjustments:
1. Deepened the back crotch curve
2. Sway back curve.
3. Shortened the leg length (#shortgirl)
4. Shortened the pocket bag (#shortgirl)
5. Added room for my thighs on the front and back leg (Cylindrical lower torso).
|On this top, the lines at the centre back seam matched :)|
Thanks to The Monthly Stitch for getting me to focus on Smarty pants this month.
Thanks for stopping by:)