Wednesday, 2 December 2015

Blood moon jacket

This jacket took 4 days to make under the blood moon in September, hence the name Blood moon jacket. 
How I wore this jacket on holidays
Using Vogue 7764 and some 'wine' corduroy from Minerva Crafts with a few neatly placed metal buttons, this jacket was a warm layer when we traveled in October.
Finished and ready to wear
She's lovely to wear and this is the third time I've made this pattern with some final tweaks.

Back vent view
This cord from Minerva Crafts is quite thick and firm but easy to manage especially when sewing in the sleeves. If fitted sleeves make you lose your cool, this cord will keep you humming.
Pocket lining detail
If you've yet to make a lined jacket, the fun is finding a great lining to go with the look you want. I bought this lining from 'Clear It' in Melbourne.
Getting the shoulder pads in the right spot
I uuhmed and aahed about adding shoulder pad where the epaulets were but I added them in for a firmer fit and a more military look. 

The initial detailing on this jacket.
The jacket detailing above were made on day 1.
Double checking the pocket placement
I so enjoyed correctly putting these pocket on the front. I really did - true 'sewing geek' material.
How I left the jacket after day 2 so I could 'sleep on it'.
This is my work in progress on the second day/night before I left my sewing room to sleep off this detailed work.

Day 3 took a bit more guts as I had to sew in the lining.
I used the trim for a coat hook.
Below is the finished jacket with the sleeves sewn in.

Here's the finished jacket first worn at Port Macquarie in October. I was fortunate enough to go to SewBusyLizzie Sewport weekend in October. 
The timing to make this jacket was also perfect as I'd entered this jacket in Pattern Review's Sewing Bee challenge. I made it through Rounds 1, 2 and 3 but didn't get through to the final Round. 

On our first morning in New York, it was just cool enough to wear this jacket in Central Park.

Below is the reworked back lining pieces as I got some good sewing advice at McCalls HQ

The back lining was bothering me so I asked the experts for their advice about making the lining 'sit properly' as this pattern doesn't have lining pieces. I ended up following their advice and sewed the back centre waist seam of the lining to the jacket centre waist seam.
 The other thing I changed was my belt buckle.
I forgot to order a belt buckle from Minerva so I picked one up from New York's textiles area. The original buckle was a 'stash' buckle'.

Thanks Minerva Crafts for this corduroy fabric and buttons. I love adding metal notions you stock.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

disqus

You might also be interested in...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Minerva Crafts UK