After jackets and jeans, I back off for a while and play with design ideas I've seen but can't find the right commercial pattern. That takes a bit more thinking space but once the plan is ready and tested, it's usually a quick make.
Four years ago I carved up a basic tee pattern to make this dress from an Anthropology RTW idea that was popular at the time. Now you can now buy this pattern but it wasn’t available at the time.
With the possibility of colder weather approaching (it's still Summer here) I went back and rechecked the fit of KwikSew 2683 on me.
I still don’t like the neckline binding finish provided by Kwik Sew pattern. I've resorted to simply folding the fabric under once and then coverstitch it or use twin needle on my basic sewing machine.
I bought this floral/stripe knit from My Hung Parramatta and underlined the bodice with a really thin factory off-cut. A friend gave me a stack of factory fabric off cuts that are what I use to test ideas. You'll see these off-cuts used from time to time.
This test top has worked. I wore it to the office where it can get cold throughout the day and I felt fine all day. The trousers are RTW and a go-to for work.
When I originally made this pattern, I got the back bodice hem wrong so these two new tops, the hems now work well.
I'm still considering a top/blouse to bundle with my 1960s style Elliott Berman suit using Simplicity 1543 and the fabric I bought with Kyle in November last year.